Monday, October 13, 2008

Volunteering at York



Volunteer


Have you ever volunteered? Would you like to work as a volunteer? If yes, you should come with me and join the Student Alumni Program-York is U which is the best organization in York University.


After I got the information from Don, I thought it was worth a try, so I sent an email to them to ask for details about this organization. After a short time, I got an email back. There was a general meeting on Oct.2nd. I went to this meeting, which was like a welcome party. First of all, we signed our application forms, and then we started our games. We were introduced to York is U, a Student Alumni Program which makes York a spirited, clean, safe and fun place for everyone. YorkisU members believe that York should be a source of pride and a place where students can return, year after year, even after they graduate. When we join this organization, we can gain valuable experience volunteering, make a lot of friends and learn the skills of leadership. There are many events in York University, such as York’s Birthday, the Stress Buster Carnival, Green Week, and Halloween. These cool events are all created by York is U. Thus, they provide a positive volunteer experience and leadership opportunities through participation. So, you should come and join us to be a volunteer, whether you have volunteered for anything before or not. At the orientation, we introduced ourselves and played games to remember each others' names. Food and drink were provided for the party. We could talk to the Director or Coordinator–Members one on one. At the meeting, they also gave out awards to people who had made a great contribution to this organization. A Member is any York student volunteer who has volunteered a minimum of 16 hours during a single York is U year and has attended a volunteer Orientation. So, you get your chance to be a volunteer first, then to be a member of York is U. As a member, you can have a lot of privileges. For example, you can attend an exclusive pinning ceremony where you receive your York is U membership pin, and personal congratulations from a top ranking University official. You can get exclusive invitations to York is U holiday and end-of-year parties. Members will receive an official recognition certificate at the end-of-year party to recognize them and thank them for their contributions. We had a lot fun in the general meeting. We also signed up for the coming events. Finally, we got a cool uniform at the end of the meeting.

Last week, I went to help them to prepare for Green Week. We painted banners and made Bristol boards. I have started my volunteer activity. How about you? Come and join me! There is a lot of fun to be had here. By the way, as I know, I’m the only person who is studying in YUELI who is a mamber here. That means that by joining this organization, you can learn English as well!!!


York is U - Student Alumni Program
York University326 Student Centre
4700 Keele StreetToronto, Ontario
M3J 1P3
Phone: 416.736.5492
Email: yorkisu@yorku.ca
Website: http://www.yorkisu.ca/


Chinese Student Association

After I finished the general meeting of York is U, I went around the student center and went to the fourth floor. I found another cool organization there, which is called the Chinese Student Association. The people in this club are very friendly. Frankie Chen, events director, told me that the Chinese Student Association is a club with 36 years of history at York University. They welcome everyone who is of Chinese descent to join this club. I signed the form and then I paid ten dollars for a membership card which is a Chinese Student Association at York University membership ID. It’s cool being a member of this club; you can get a lot of benefits. For example, you can get a discount on Canada's Wonderland tickets. There were four people playing mahjong at the front of the office. That was surprising. They told me that they are students in different classes at York University. They always get together and chat with each other. Frankie said, “This club can help Chinese students to enjoy university life. Also, students will feel they belong to Chinese culture.” At the end of our conversation, Frankie asked me if I was interested in being an executive because he had found out I had three years of experience as Chairman in my Student Union at home. I told him that I would try to apply it because I could improve my leadership skills. Finally, Frankie emphasized that although this club is the Chinese Student Association, they would use English in speaking and writing. Therefore, you should come and join me in this club because you can have a lot fun here. It is also a good place to learn English!!!


Club Office: Room 419, Student Centre
Website: http://www.yorku.ca/ycsa
YorkCSA forum: http://www.yorku.ca/ycsa/bbs
Facebook: YCSA [Chinese Students' Association at York]
Edison

No comments: